Sunday, December 26, 2021

The Oldest Google Map Known To Man

Over the weekend Mapperz asked me if I knew which was the oldest Google Maps mashup that nonetheless worked. So I dug out my Indiana Jones chapeau & whip together with began searching through the dusty annals of the Google archives.

At get-go I idea it was a real slow inquiry to answer. Paul Rademacher's HousingMaps is good known every bit the oldest Google Maps hack together with the final fourth dimension I had checked I'm pretty certain that HousingMaps still worked. However checking it 1 time to a greater extent than this calendar week I establish that it has sadly taken a dive into the dead pool. HousingMaps seems to lead keep fallen prey to the discontinuation of the Google Maps API v2 dorsum inward November.


The minute e'er postal service on Google was close the pop Google Sightseeing website. Google Sightseeing is nonetheless real much endure together with every bit pop every bit ever. But, if my retentiveness serves me correct, inward its early on days Google Sightseeing was non a hack of Google Maps exactly used screenshots together with links to Google Maps inward its never ending bespeak to convey you lot the best satellite images from Google Maps. So sadly it doesn't qualify every bit the oldest Google Maps mashup.

One of the earliest clever Google Maps hacks was past times the
In June 2005 Google officially released the Google Maps API. Soon subsequently its loose Google Maps Transparencies was created. Google Maps Transparencies used the API to exercise a clever map that allowed you lot to overlay a satellite persuasion on tiptop of a map layer. And it nonetheless does - because yes Google Maps Transparencies is nonetheless endure together with well.

So I'm happy to pronounce Google Maps Transparencies every bit the oldest surviving Google Maps Mashup. Unless of cast you lot know ameliorate ...

No comments:

Post a Comment