Wednesday, April 28, 2021

If Nosotros Were Dutch


This calendar week I actually liked the Newcastle Brown map If We Won. The map presents an alternate history of the USA, showing what towns too cities mightiness live on called straightaway if the USA hadn't won the War of Independence.

This forenoon I decided to convey a larn at creating a similar map. The consequence is New Amsterdam, a petty map of what New York mightiness await similar today if the Dutch were all the same inward charge. The map isn't close every bit expert every bit the Newcastle Brown map merely cracking for a couplet of hours work.

For the sake of speed I decided non to exercise my ain base of operations map tiles. Instead I used Google Maps Styled Maps to hand the map a slight vintage await too to take the Google Maps labels. I too thus used the Map Label library to add together my ain Dutch names to the map. I also added a few map markers to add together windmills, mountains too a shipping to the map.

The map exclusively took a couplet of hours thus it looks a chip ragged. It could live on improved past times changing the fashion of the map labels to brand them a chip to a greater extent than pronounced - similar on the If We Won map. The map marking icons also postulate a petty move on the transparency. If I had the fourth dimension the biggest improvement would live on to exercise too add together my ain vintage looking base of operations map tiles (but that's never going to happen).

No comments:

Post a Comment